Here's a really good gluten-free bread recipe:
Here are some hints:
1) Amazon sells Namaste Perfect Flour Blend. Best price is to buy 6 bags of the flour on the subscribe and save deal. You can unsubscribe after the purchase if you want, so you aren't signing your life away. It is 48.10 for 6 bags... and that's the best price I've found. It says on the package "not for bread" but the grandma of Namaste figured out how to use it for bread. Also for sale at Central Market in Austin.
2) There is also a recipe on their website for a bread machine, but it is too difficult to get my machine to do one rise instead of two (preferred with gluten-free bread). And the bread machine doesn't cook it for long enough. Some suggest to put it in the oven after you cook it in the bread machine. t have a great bread machine for sale (cheap).
2) Cheapest yeast is at Sams or Costco. I freeze most of it, and refrigerate the rest. I mix it with water at 110°.
3) The consistency is that of cake dough, though I've never made a cake. It isn't possible to knead this by hand. You'll need a mixer (like Kitchenaid). I have an old Hobart... which works great on even a double recipe.
4) I use olive oil. I think that gives it a better flavor.
5) I've used both rice milk and almond milk. I think rice tastes better ... but both are fine.
6) I use tapioca flour ... just because I'm anti-corn products.
7) I use Energ Egg Replacer (Central Market in Austin).
8) I cook it at 375° for 40 minutes covered with aluminum foil and 40 more minutes not covered.
9) Take it out of the pan when done and put it on a rack. Don't dare cut into it until it is cool.
10) I switch off between agave and honey. Some macrobiotic folks are suspicion of agave. I'm not sure what I'll do when I run out of agave.
11) You need to toast it to eat it... and it takes the highest number on my toaster. Though it is great in bag lunches... even if you toast it earlier.
12) Olive oil works great to oil the baking pan.
Let me know how you like it. I bought some non-gluten bread ($5.49 for a loaf) and it tasted like ? (not good).